Albania Media Council is an independent organisation of journalists, registered as a legal NGO aiming at a more ethical, professional and independent media.
The organisation was established in 2015 as an initiative of a core group of 7 quality-conscious media professionals, with the purpose to promote self-regulation among the community, as a mean to re-establish trust and maintain media’s credibility with the Albanian public.
The founding members of the Council are more than thirty albanian journalists from TV, print and online media.
Governing body of the Albanian Media Council is the General Assembly of Members and Steering committee comprised of 7 members.
While a Code of Ethic for the media In Albania is conducted in 1996 and once again in 2006, efforts to establish a media council in years have resulted unsuccessful, in spite of the fact that breach of code is continuous and has become the standard.
The Complaints Center aims at:
- Setting up of the first Complaints Center to address complaints about specific code of ethics breaches from journalists.
- Reinforcement of the Code of Ethics by pointing out real issues through every investigated case
- Setting the first step to the self-regulation in Albania.
- Reestablishing the trust of the public on the media.
- Creating a database on the breaches of the Code of Ethics and put it in the disposal of the public and all the relevant organizations.
- Creating reliable reports for all relevant organizations whose job deals with the media and their impact on the public.
- Creating the bases for more and broader such services to be set up in the future, improving regulatory and self-regulatory organisms for problems related to media.
- Creating a new approach to editors in chief through offering an insight on the elaborated data of breaches of the Code of Ethics.